The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the approach and development of our research project “POLITICAL PARTICIPATION, ISLAM AND TRANSNATIONALITY IN THE ARAB-ISLAMIC WORLD AND IN A MIGRATORY CONTEXT (CSO2014-52998-C3-1-P)”, directed by Ana Planet and Ángeles Ramírez, both with Dutch, Portuguese and Italian colleagues, as well as with researchers from other Spanish universities (some of them participate in the project).
We are interested in discussing the context of the studies on Islam in each of the countries concerned, as well as the ethical and political issues deriving from such research. Our meeting may not only serve to reflect upon common research matters, but could also establish a basis for developing joint projects in the future.
Date: December 12 & 13, 2017
Tuesday, December 12
14:00: Welcoming Lunch
16:00 - 19:00: Overview of the research on Islam in Spain, The Netherlands, Italy and Portugal. Ana Planet, Ángeles Ramírez, Martijn de Koning, Rosa Parisi y Maria Cardeira.
Wednesday, December 13
10:00 - 11:00: Presentation of our project
Ángeles Ramírez/ Ana Planet/ Laura Mijares
11:00 – 12:30: Discussion with the participation of the team members
- Johanna Lems
- Daniel Ahmed
- Salvatore Madonia
12:30 – 13.00: Break
13.00 – 14.30: Discussion with the participation of the team members
- Ana Planet
- Lucía Ferreiro
- Virtudes Téllez
- Fatima Tahiri
16:30 – 19.30: Table “Ethics, political and academic agendas: research on Islam in Europe”, moderated by Virtudes Téllez, with Martijn de Koning, Rosa Parisi, María Cardeira and Fundación Al Fanar.
Presentations (in order of appearance)
- Muslimness and political subjectivity: an analysis of the reactions to (non) interpellation (Johanna)
- Reflections on the construction and performativity of muslimness (Daniel Ahmed)
- Collective representations and constructions of the self. We, you and they in the identity identifications of young Muslims in Madrid (Salvatore Madonia)
- Navigating between citizenship: diaspora and political action of Moroccans in Spain (Ana Planet)
- Infrapolitics of daily life in Moroccan women in Spain (Lucía Ferreiro)
- Against stigma: the embodiment of symbolic and structural violence towards Muslims (Virtudes Téllez)
- The body of the woman as the "banner" of the community (Fatima Tahiri)
Organised by Taller de Estudios Internacionales Mediterréneos (TEIM), Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM) and GIAOP.
[Working languages will be French and English]